Monday, May 28, 2012

Connect the Dots

Tremulous Girl in Treatment Room #3:  "Nurse, can I have a warm blanket?  I'm freezing."

Me:  "Sure, I'll be right back" 

(There are only a few warm blankets in the warmer and many patients before we get more cold ones to replace them with once those are gone.)

Tremulous Girl in Treatment Room #3:  "And nurse?  Can I have a glass of ice water?"

Me:  "Ice?" (moment of silence, shaking head slowly) "No.  No ice." 

Tremulous Girl in Treatment Room #3:  "But my mouth is dry."

Doting and Hovering Family Member:  "She's so thirsty."

Me:  "I'll bring you a glass of water."

Tremulous Girl in Treatment Room #3:  "I can't have ice?"

Me:  "No ice."

Tremulous Girl in Treatment Room #3:  (Staring, incredulously as I slowly close the treatment room door and walk away)

Am I the only one who has linked the drinking of ice water with the sensation of feeling cold?  Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment