Saturday, October 13, 2012

Conversations With God

A construction worker comes in day before yesterday while I'm at lunch.  They're all in Trauma II when I get back.  Blood all over the floor, the stretcher, the clothes.  Everybody's gowned up.  Turns out the guy was cutting a board with a circular saw and somehow ended up severing his brachial artery.  He was drifting off, every once in a while.  The chopper was called to transport him to another facility and his wife was getting ready to head out on the 75 mile trip to the other hospital.  I overheard another nurse giving her directions.

Me:  "Don't hurry, now.  Take your time.  You don't want another accident today."

Spouse:  "I won't.  I'm fine."

Me:  "You are taking someone with you, right?"

Spouse:  "No, I'm okay to drive."

Me:  "You need to at least take someone with you."

Spouse:  "I'm really okay, I'll be okay."

Me:  "I know you think you're okay and you probably feel okay but you need to take someone with you."

Spouse:  (looking at the other nurse, now)  "I'll be okay.  The Lord will take care of me."

Pause

Me:  "The Lord told me to tell you to take someone with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment