Sunday, May 12, 2013

Charmed, I'm Sure

I was triaging a 48 year old male who'd come in for a lacerated finger.  I asked about previous medical problems and here's what I got.

Nothing much except I can't die.  

You can't die? (I said, continuing to type, not looking up)

No mahame.

Why do you say that?  (still typing)

Well, once when I tried to commit suicide, I shot myself with a nail gun.  I was aiming for here (forefinger held at the back of his head) but I missed and it went through the back of my tongue and through my vocal cords. Before that, I tried to shoot myself with a 25 automatic and it wouldn't go off.  Later on, I shot that gun and it went off with no problem.  I sold it and it never missed another lick.  This other time, I was living in Chicago and the commuter trains come through at the same times all day long.  I knew when that train was coming and I got a bottle of whiskey and parked my truck on the tracks.  That was the first time in 23 years that train was delayed. Before it got there, I changed my mind.  Then another time, I had pneumonia and I took a whole bottle of antibiotics at once.  I told my family to make arrangements, and everything, but I woke up later on like normal.  Never had no problems.  And my pneumonia was gone.  They said it was a miracle.  

I wasn't typing, anymore.  I think my mouth mighta been open a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment